Waverly_Leaderboard_FabricCookies

Facebook Twitter Sew4Home RSS Feed Follow Me on Pinterest

FreeSpirit-Rowan 10&10 Series: Lush Fringed Pillows in Anna Maria Horner/Field Study

Today in our 10 Designers & 10 Collections series, we are taking a walk on the wild side with our good friend, Anna Maria Horner. We've created three incredible throw pillows in Anna's Field Study collection. Anna is always ahead of the curve when it comes to producing collections in a fun variety of substrates. Field Study is available now in quilting cotton, laminate, velveteen and voile, and will be coming soon in a linen. For our pillows, we chose amazing animal print velveteens paired with lush quilting cottons. Each pillow is framed with a gorgeous brush fringe. By using the same fringe on each along with one matching print (the animal print velveteen) in multiple colorways, all three pillows coordinate beautifully, yet all three are different.

If you're a regular S4H visitor, you know we've done projects in a number of Anna Maria's fabric collections. They're always gorgeous and have such a great depth of color and design. Field Study is no exception. It's like wrapping yourself in a botanical garden of delights. With such an amazing variety of colors, motifs and substrates, you have an unending supply of combination options. Experiment! Prints and substrates you might not traditionally put together, may look smashing side by side! For our pillow set, it was super fun to flip them from one side to the other, turning a couple one way with the third another. For more information on this, take a look at the article we did during our Romantic Bedroom Retreat Series with FreeSpirit & Rowan: How To Mix and Match Designer Fabric Collections

Anna's Field Study debuted in August of 2012 in the quilting cotton and cotton laminate. The voile hit in November and the velveteen in December. The linen should be out in April of this year. We found a good selection at Sew4Home Marketplace Vendor, Fabric.com

Our thanks to the great folks at FreeSpirit and Rowan Fabrics for sponsoring these four weeks of Resolution Inspiration from ten of their amazing designers. What's Anna's resolution? I love it so much, it's going on my own list:

"My resolution is to try to take care of myself as well as I do everyone else!"

Check out the Westminster Fibers Retail Locator for shopping options near you; we will be continuing to add shops throughout this first week of the series, so if you don't see your fave right away, check back in a day or two. Remember, not all shops take delivery and/or display fabrics on the same schedule, so actual in-stock dates may vary. Also, you can always ask your favorite local independent fabric retailer to special order fabric for you.

• Any Sewing Machine (we recommend the Janome DC2013)
  • Walking foot (optional, but very helpful for sewing the thick brush trim)

Ingredients shown below are for ONE 16" x 16" pillow, but the more you make, the more you get to mix and match. Yardage shown allows for fussy cutting and is shown as a range because the exact size needed depends on the size of your fabric's motif and repeat. The Field Study motifs are big and bold; we wanted enough fabric to precisely place our designs and so opted for ¾ yard; ½ yard is enough for more petite prints.

NOTE: If you are new to fussy cutting, check out our tutorial

1. From the fabric for Side A (Field Study Spotted in the Crowd cotton velveteens in our samples), fussy cut ONE 16¼" x 16¼" square.
  2. From the fabric for Side B (various Field Study quilting cottons in our samples), fussy cut ONE 16¼" x 16¼" square.
    NOTE: As mentioned above, take your time to create a really beautifully positioned motif for each side.
  3. Trim the fringe to a 67" length (16¼" x 4 + 2" extra to "futz" with; you'll trim the excess as needed after all is pinned in place). Wrap the ends of the fringe with a tiny piece of tape to hold the fringe threads in place. The bottom edge of the fringe is sewn in place to hold the ends of the strands together. Do not remove this stitching yet; it's easier to work with the fringe as a more solid unit during construction.

1. Place the side to which you'll attach the fringe right side up on work surface. We chose the velveteen side because it is a heavier substrate and this increased stability works well with the heavy fringe.
  2. Starting at the middle of one side, align the top edge of the fringe with the raw edge of the fabric. Pin in place around all four sides.
  3. At the corners, curve the trim rather than attempting a 90˚ turn.
  4. This type of fringe requires just a tiny overlap; it is dense enough to disguise this type of simple finish.
  5. Bring the ends together enough so there is no gap in the fringe, but don't create a thick overlap "bump." Trim away the excess fringe as needed.
  6. Machine baste the fringe in place, staying within the ½" seam allowance. We used our Walking foot for this step.

Stitch front to back

1. Place the fringed side right side up on your work surface. Smooth out the fringe to make sure none of the threads will be in the way of the final seam.
  2. Place the plain side right sides together with the fringed side, sandwiching the fringe between the layers.
  3. Align all the raw edges and pin in place all around, leaving a 6-8" opening along one side for turning.
  4. Stitch together through all layers around all four sides, using a ½" seam allowance. Go slowly and make sure your layers stay flat.
  5. We are still using our Walking foot to keep the layers from shifting.
  6. Follow the basting seam to curve around the corners.
  7. Trim away the excess fabric at the corners to create a smooth curve.
  8. Turn right side out through the opening.
  9. Gently round out the corners from the inside using a long, blunt-end tool, such as a knitting needle or chopstick.
  10. Gently pull out the fringe all around. If needed, pick out any stray basting stitches with your seam ripper. Remove the thread(s) holding the bottom of the fringe together.
  11. Insert your pillow form through the opening and fluff it out into the corners.
  12. Fold in the raw edges of the opening so they are flush with the sewn seam. Pin in place.
  13. Thread the hand sewing needle and slip stitch the opening closed.

Project Design: Alicia Thommas
Sample Creation and Instructional Outline: Debbie Guild

ktvita said:
ktvita's picture

I love making pillows!!! This is a nice tutorial.. but not crazy about this kinda fringe though!!

My 2013 resolution is to sort out, proritize, actually use my stash and implement at least 3 of the projects from my to-do list!!! One quilt, One handbag/may be this bag or clutch and one skirt (yes want to start with a simpler one)! I've bookmarked so many projects and have bought many books on quilts, handbags, dress making and home decor in 2012.

Picking one favorite designer is really hard.. I've collected fabric lines from Joel Dewberry, Ty Pennington, Jennifer Paganelli, Paula Prass, Sweetwater, Tanya Whelan and just love all other designers for their creativity!!!

Okay, if at all I've to pick one now, I think .... oh well can't decide!!! All these are soooooo talented... Love them all!!!

DesignsbyJanet said:
DesignsbyJanet's picture

Love the pillows and the fabric, but not crazy about that particular fringe.  In 2013 I need to make some pillows for my couch and chairs.  Anna Marie Horner fabrics are gorgeous.

goonybird said:
goonybird's picture

Cute idea! My sewing resolution is to sew more, and finish my projects! My favorite designer is Kaffe Fassett.

mommyinvt said:
mommyinvt's picture

My favorite designer is Anna Maria Horner. She always delivers a great collection and equally impressive projects! My 2013 sewing resolution is to sew an article of clothing for myself and actually wear it.

mommyinvt said:
mommyinvt's picture

My favorite designer is Anna Maria Horner, she always delivers a great, unique collection and equally impressive projects!  My 2013 sewing resolution is to make an item of clothing for myself this year and to actually wear it :)

3rdmargaret said:
3rdmargaret's picture

What elegant pillows!  I don't think that I could choose just one favorite but Anna is top-of-the-list.   I do love AMH!!  My 2013 resolution is use and enjoy my "precious" fabrics in projects, not just for admiring and petting!

Holly Ann said:
Holly Ann's picture

Field study is so beautiful I love all the fun animal prints. The trim on these pillows would turn my house cats into wild beasts! Jumping on the trim etc. my new years resolutioI is to sew more things for my cats to play with so they will hopefully leave all my other beautiful things alone!

Dr. G said:
Dr. G's picture

My New Year's Resolution is to try out new techniques with my sewing (example crocheted trim, embroidered accents).  I love all of these designers(and have made things from each of their lines) but have I been following and have loved Anna Maria Horner from the very beginning. :)

Carmen Country Mouse said:
Carmen Country Mouse's picture

Love Anna Maria Horner fabrics! My resolutions is to make at least one thing a month for my daughter, new granddaughter or myself!

Dupcodeb said:
Dupcodeb's picture

I love that leopard print velveteen!  one of my 2013 resolutions is to make something with velveteen!  Love it!  Anna Maria Horner is always one of my favorite designers.

Tutumontana said:
Tutumontana's picture

My resolution is to sew more, Anna Maria Horner is my favorite designer. Love that purple leopard velveteen!

Meenimouse said:
Meenimouse 's picture

i love everything AMH!  great tutorial ;-)

i have a long list of resolutions, but from a creative aspect, i hope to put more details and meaning into everything that i make.  i seem to "save" my good stuff and ideas which has left me feeling like i am not reaching my full potential.

my favorite designer is anna maria horner!!!!

Dena said:
Dena's picture

I love the fringe and although I don't need pillows, I can think of other things to fringe.

Lola Witusik said:
Lola Witusik's picture

Anna Maria Horner is my fave!!!

And my sewing resolution is to teach 2 out of my 3 children how to sew!! They've been asking for a while....just need to find the time!

Lola Witusik said:
Lola Witusik's picture

Anna Maria Horner is my fave!!!

Amy McAllister said:
Amy McAllister's picture

OMG what a loverly project!

Of course Anna Maria Horner is my favorite designer and my goal for 2013 is to have more "completions" than starts this year.... And to make at least two quilt donations this year.

pyratechick@gmail.com

Cheryl B said:
Cheryl B's picture

Your tip about overlapping the fringe a little bit is much appreciated. The results look great!

sewalittle2 said:
sewalittle2's picture

Great tutorial! My 2013 resolution is to spend more time creating in my sewing room. My all time favorite desiner is Joel Dewberry :)

ggiffinrao said:
ggiffinrao's picture

My resolution is to learn how to make clothing that does not look "home-made". My favorite designer is Valori Wells!

meshellay said:
meshellay's picture

My quilting resolution seems to be the same year after year, to finish all my projects in process. I love Anna Maria Horner, every line is something I have to have.

jovy.ann said:
jovy.ann's picture

This looks great, but I fear that cats and other animals would attack it.  Has anyone had problems with that yet?

Pam S said:
Pam S's picture

What fun! These would certainly make a room cheerful!

Alsan said:
Alsan's picture

How cute are these and just how wonderful would they be made with a piece or two of Philip Jacobs made for Rowan?

klord said:
klord's picture

My New Years resultion is to make gifts for all the people I work with. This is a lofty goal and I will have to start early because there is about thirty people. My favorative designer is  Mark Cesarik.

corsetkitten said:
corsetkitten's picture

My 2013 sewing resolution is a 2-part resolution: 1) that I would like to become a better quilter--since I'm self taught and I'm only making miniature quilts (1:6) and I make a lot of it up as I go along and it's not always "right" and 2) that my goal for 2013 is to start  a Log Cabin quilt to use as a quilt on the couch (and for guests) in our home. It will be the first human size quilt I try to make.

You have great designers and it's really quite difficult to pick just one.  If I had to though I would go with Jane A. Sassaman. Her designs seem to be so vibrant and alive! They jump out and make me want to use them! (a close second is Mark Cesarik -- his designs and colors are ace too!)

If you need to you can contact me by email (I'm registered with the site). :)

ssmullis said:
ssmullis's picture

My 2013 sewing resolution is to actually start machine quilting my own quilt tops. My favorite designer would have to be Jennifer Paganelli. Her fabrics are so full of joy! Thanks so much for this most awesome giveaway!

Rina said:
Rina's picture

I normally don't like fringe but with these fabrics it makes me think I might like a pillow with fringe just to liven things up around here..

kplaposata said:
kplaposata's picture

I'm not sure I'm sold on the fringe, but maybe something else to take its place.  Fabric, as always, is wonderful,  Thanks.

Stacey Henderson said:
Stacey Henderson's picture

Love those fabrics...and that fringe is outrageous...fantastic!

AlphaBecky said:
AlphaBecky's picture

What a lush project!!  Love the colors in Anna Maria's designs.

elimarie said:
elimarie's picture

A bit on the wild side, but that matches the theme of the pattern line. Fun!

christield said:
christield's picture

I love these pillows! My resolution is to make more things for myself and home.  My dogs seem to get all my sewing attention!  My favorite designer is Anna Maria Horner. She uses amazing colors and I love her prints.

bec.nichols said:
bec.nichols's picture

I love the combo of the fringe with Field Study.  FS is my favorite line right now!  So beautiful!

theelvengarden said:
theelvengarden's picture

That fringed edge work so well with field study, I need to make some of these.

squigglytwigsdesigns said:
squigglytwigsdesigns's picture

The fringe is perfect for this fabric.  Wow!

Savannagal said:
Savannagal's picture

Love the animal print fabric. My cats would chew off all that fringe though.

sarahkate said:
sarahkate's picture

Love Anna Maria Horner! I have never made anything with fringe before, maybe I should try it out.

KnittyWhit said:
KnittyWhit's picture

I'm not a huge fan of these fabrics, but a great tutorial for sewing fringe. Thanks.

Heather81203 said:
Heather81203's picture

I love this fabric collection. It's on my wish list, it's gorgeous!

Fawn B. said:
Fawn B.'s picture

I normally hate fringe, but this project is totally growing on me!!!

MooMommy said:
MooMommy's picture

I am not usually a fan of fringe, but this looks fun! I may have to change my mind and try this

JoyceLM said:
JoyceLM's picture

Gorgeous pillows.  My cats would love the fringe.

Leslie.salzmann said:
Leslie.salzmann's picture

Love Anna Maria Horner's sense of style and color!

Leslie.salzmann said:
Leslie.salzmann's picture

Love Anna Maria Horner's sense of style and color!

GypsyThread said:
GypsyThread's picture

Love, love, love that particular fringe with the animal prints. So fun!