s4h-janome-skyline_s7-728x90-2017
Janome General-Leaderboard right

You Asked 4 It Survey Results

A HUGE thank you to the nearly 1,500 Sew4Home visitors who took a few minutes to answer our recent You Asked 4 It survey.  We want to make sure we’re bringing you the type of inspiration and information you're looking for, and these responses will be a big help as we build our future editorial calendars. Take a look at some of the results.

We read through each and every response, but that is a lot of detail, so we've summarized the information for you. Of course, our email box is always open. If you missed the survey and want to weigh in with a few of your thoughts, send us an email at info@sew4home.com.

Congratulations to Diane Kauffman of Hagerstown, Maryland. We drew her name from all completed surveys to win a mystery grab bag of cool fabric cuts direct from the S4H Stash. Diane has used our Sew4Home tutorials to help banish her fears of trying something new. She has a great attitude, "Of course I sometimes make mistakes, but that is why I love my seam ripper so much!" That's the spirit; tackle that new challenge and end up with a new skill!

What categories of projects would you like to see more of?

Bags and totes along with their smaller pouch and wristlet companions topped the list here. Although Bins and Baskets were close behind. Sew4Home visitors love their storage solutions!

What types of techniques are you interested in learning more about?

Over half of the respondents were interested in Quilting, followed very closely by those of you wanting more information about how best to use Piping, Cording, and Trims. A love of garments was also noted with Alterations and Pattern Making coming in high on the list.

What products are you interested knowing more about?

Ahhhhh… Interfacing - so many choices, so little time. Nearly 60% put this at the top of the list, followed by Fasteners, Marking Tools, and Batting. Those “behind the scenes” tools are so important!

Who/What would you like to see more projects geared toward?

The answers here were quite wide and varied, although Babies and Young Children as well as Older Children and Teens make the top five responses along with Pets.

Are there holidays for which you'd like more ideas?

Christmas was the big winner, followed by Birthday Parties and Thanksgiving. We also loved all the individual responses for specific celebration ideas, like anniversaries and wedding showers.

Which Sew4Home themed series would you like to see more of?

Quick and easy was everyone’s favorite. You love our Fast Fridays and ScrapBusters series, but were also interested in more Knock-Offs that replicate costly ready-made projects for less.

People love our bags, but which type are your favorite?

Shoulder Bags, Slings, and Large Totes garnered the most votes. We also saw a number of requests for travel worthy bags and it appears one can never have enough pockets!

What best describes your design style?

We love the fact that these answers were so evenly spread out. “A little of everything” is what we saw in many of the comments. The top five categories were: Traditional, Eclectic, Contemporary, Shabby Chic, and Garden.

What other articles do you/might you find interesting?

You are interested in hearing from others in the industry. Guest tutorials topped the list with over 70%. I guess it’s time for us to open up our address book and call some of our creative pals!

Is there a specific project you are interested in?

SO many great ideas here. From a boho style backpack to a comfy hammock to how to decorate a small space. We have a huge list of fun concepts to consider.

The remaining questions covered skill level, social media choices, age range, and shopping preferences, which we’ll use to tailor our messages.

If you requested to be added to our maillist, thank you! Please give us a few weeks to finish making all those additions. Or, if you just can’t wait, there’s a sign-up box at the top right of every page of the site.

Thanks again for helping us with your participation. The more we know – the better Sew4Home becomes!

ShelleyZ said:
ShelleyZ's picture

Just want to say I love your website and how well organized it is. My only request is to make the search results a little easier to view. I also love seeing an alternate version of a project or alternate detail suggestion. Otherwise, you have one of the best site out there!

@ShelleyZ - Thank you! And, we've collected your suggesitons about searching and alternatives.

LaneyBC said:
LaneyBC's picture

as  new Janome owner ( 9400 and 500e) I have been very impressed with Sew4Home. I am still catching up on reading older posts but there is a wealth of valuable and creative ideas. Looking forward to many more great projects.

@LaneyBC - Congratulations on your new Janome machines! And, we're so glad you've found the site and are discovering great must-make projects. Thanks for being a follower.

Vicki C said:
Vicki C's picture

Hi!

Just want to add my two cents worth also about not changing too much!! If I am out shopping and see something that I think would make a good gift or a good decorating idea, I always say, "Hmm, wonder if Sew4Home has something similar." I am excited to see the new projects down the way, but please don't change too much!! I use your website soooo much and I am loving the new book also! Kudos!!!

@Vicki - Thank you for such a kind message. We love that you check us for the latest trends.

Sally King said:
Sally King's picture

the survey results were surprising to me...bags and pouches!?  That being said...I love everything you do..I use you as my go-to for almost all my projects.  So don't change too much...please!

@Sally -- Oh my yes, people LOVE the bags and pouches! But, so happy to hear you love so much of everything. Thanks for being such a great follower!

Linda Welk said:
Linda Welk's picture

don't change too much...I love it the way it is!!

@ Linda - Awwww -- you are so sweet - thanks!

Gayle Z said:
Gayle Z's picture

thanks for the feed back from your survey.    You have a most interesting news letter   I enjoy all and everything in it.

Happy days to you

Gayle

@Gayle - Thanks! We appreciate you being such a loyal follower!!

dustydog202 said:
dustydog202's picture

Thank you S4H!  I'm so excited to have been picked as the winner of the survey contest.  I can't wait to receive my grab bag of fabric and decide what quilting project I want to make with it.  I've started machine quilting, but only small projects.  I've never tackled a quilt yet.  So that is going to be the project I pick for the fabric I receive.  I'll be sure to share it once I finish it.  But I'm really slow, so it will take me several months to finish it.

Diane Kauffman

@Diane - Congrats again. Your first quilt -- that's an exciting idea. Have fun!

Virginia Frazier said:
Virginia Frazier's picture

I truly agree with all of the final answers.  Quite interesting.

@Virginia - It is interesting, isn't it?! We have lots of ideas to keep us busy.

pbjones80@hotmail.com said:
pbjones80@hotmail.com's picture

That comfy hammock sounds like a winner.  Especially with summer on the way! Lots of good things to look forward to from sew4home by the looks of this list.

@pbjones80 - Always lots of fun on the way!!

@DebS - It was super fun to see everyone's ideas.