Although we show it mounted on a decorative curtain rod, a roll up shade is perfect for a dorm room or apartment windows because is works just as well on a tension rod, which means no brackets to install on those walls that don't belong to you!
The layered ribbons add a decorator touch to this simple linen shade, adding color and detail. Look at the selection of patterned ribbons at your favorite fabric store and select a 5/8" to 1½" wide ribbon that coordinates with your color scheme. Try combining two solid color ribbons with a print fabric, or keep it simple with basic stripes and solid colors.
Sewing Tools You Need
- Any Sewing Machine (we recommend the Janome Decor Computer 3050)
- McCall's pattern M4328, View E
- Cocoa brown linen, yardage according to pattern
- 1½" ribbon, yardage according to pattern
- 5/8" striped grosgrain ribbon, yardage according to pattern
- Dowel, cut according to pattern
- Tension rod to fit window
- Matching all-purpose thread
Follow the instructions provided in the pattern for measuring your window, cut your fabric. The shade is not lined and the edges are finished with simple hems. Follow the steps for construction, adding the additional 5/8" ribbon along with the 1½" ribbon as directed in the pattern.
Other machines suitable for this project include the Pfaff ClassicStyle Fashion 1523 and the Brother NX-450.